The Dubois State Police are reporting an accident fire in Clearfield County Saturday afternoon in which the homeowner sustained injury. The troopers report the Dubois fire department was dispatched to fire at 121 Robinson Street in Dubois, the home James Young, at shortly after 2:15 pm. When they arrived they found fire on the first floor and quickly extinguished it. Young had to be taken to an emergency room for treatment of his injuries.
The Dubois fire fighters called in the state police fire marshal to determine the cause and origin of the fire. An examination of the scene showed an inordinate number of extension cords and electrical appliances within the living room of the home. The source of the fire was traced to an extension cord draped over the footboard of a bed located in the living room which caused severe damage to the cord which led to its failure. The fire was ruled accident, electrical in nature as a result of improper installation, use and maintenance of an extension cord. The failure of the extension cord was not the result of the use of space heater. During the scene examination it could not be determined whether or not any electrical circuits were over loaded or not.
the fire marshal says damage to the home is estimated at about $65,000. It was unknown if the home had working smoke detectors.
The public is reminded to only use extension cords as a temporary measure only. Take care in ensuring that they are not kinked, pinched or placed under heavy objects or sharp objects when in use.
although not a factor in this fire, the fire Marshal Unit would like to remind the public when using space heaters in a residence, care must be taken to provide them ample space so the heat they produce can dissipate into the room's interior and not radiate to nearby combustible materials. It is also advised to install, maintain and test smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors within your home as well.